This is an old revision of the document!

Lord Newburgh’s Regiment of Foot

Active1656 to 1662
ConflictsAnglo-Spanish War
ColonelLord Newburgh
Sir William Urry
Area RaisedFlanders
Coat Colour
Flag Colour
Flag Design
Field ArmiesCharles II 1658

Also Sir William Urry’s Regiment of Foot

Regiment raised for Charles II in exile from Scotsmen in Flanders, they fought at the Battle of the Dunes

Service History


  • Raised in Flanders from Scots Royalists



  • June: Battle of the Dunes



  • December: Quartered at Douai


  • Garrison of Mardyke


  • Garrison of Mardyke
  • December: Reduced to 2 companies and incorporated into one of the Irish regiments at Mardyke


The regiment's history is discussed in Firth, C. H. (1898), Royalist and Cromwellian Armies in Flanders, 1657-1662, Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, pp. 67–119

Charles II began to raise an army at Bruges in Flanders in 1656, having signed a treaty to ally with Spain against France and Cromwellian England. Originally to be Lt Gen Middleton's Regiment, instead Middleton was sent on a diplomatic mission to Poland and instead Lord Newburgh raised a regiment of exiled Scots Royalists, led in the field by Sir William Urry. In July 1658 the regiment fought at the Battle of the Dunes in Muskerry’s brigade, but the French and English Protectorate forces were victorious. They remained in Flanders, in garrison at Mardyke after the Restoration, but were amalgamated into one of the Irish regiments in 1662.

Flags and Equipment

Notable Officers

Lord Newburgh

Sir William Urry

Sir William Urry, brother of the multiple turncoat Sir John Urry.


  • April 1657: Estimated at 300 men by English news-sheets
  • Spring 1659: 10 companies
  • December 1662: 2 companies

See Also