Lord Newburgh’s Regiment of Foot

Active1656 to 1662
ConflictsAnglo-Spanish War
ColonelLord Newburgh
Sir William Urry
Area RaisedFlanders
Coat Colour
Flag Colour
Flag Design
Field ArmiesCharles II 1658

Also Sir William Urry’s Regiment of Foot

Regiment raised for Charles II in exile from Scotsmen in Flanders, they fought at the Battle of the Dunes

Service History


  • Raised in Flanders from Scots Royalists



  • June: Battle of the Dunes



  • December: Quartered at Douai


  • Garrison of Mardyke


  • Garrison of Mardyke
  • December: Reduced to 2 companies and incorporated into one of the Irish regiments at Mardyke


The regiment's history is discussed in Firth, C. H. (1898), Royalist and Cromwellian Armies in Flanders, 1657-1662, Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, pp. 67–119

Charles II began to raise an army at Bruges in Flanders in 1656, having signed a treaty to ally with Spain against France and Cromwellian England. Originally to be Lt Gen Middleton's Regiment, instead Middleton was sent on a diplomatic mission to Poland and the regiment of exiled Scots Royalists was given to Lord Newburgh, being led in the field by Sir William Urry. In July 1658 the regiment fought at the Battle of the Dunes in Muskerry’s brigade, but the French and English Protectorate forces were victorious. They remained in Flanders, in garrison at Mardyke after the Restoration, but were amalgamated into one of the Irish regiments in 1662.

Flags and Equipment

Notable Officers

Lord Newburgh

James Livingston, Lord Newburgh, previously served in the King’s Lifeguard of Horse under Charles II in Scotland and at Worcester.

Sir William Urry

Sir William Urry, brother of the multiple turncoat Sir John Urry.

Officer Lists


Orders of precedance among the officers of the Scottish regiment, Charles R, Bruxelles, 4th June 16571)

Note this was prior to Middleton's departure

  • Colonel: Lt General John Middleton
  • Lt Col: Viscount Newbrugh
  • Major: Colonel William Urrey
  • Captain: Earl of Kelley
  • Captain: Lord Napier
  • Captain: Charles Hay
  • Captain: Sir William Fleming
  • Captain: Sir William Keyth
  • Captain: Colonel Turner
  • Captain: Colonel Durham
  • Captain: Sir Alexander Hamilton
  • Captain: Sgt Maj John Strachan
  • Captain: Lt Col Walter Whitford
  • Captain: George Hamilton
  • Captain: Alexander Hamilton
  • Captain: James Lawson


  • April 1657: Estimated at 300 men by English news-sheets
  • Spring 1659: 10 companies
  • December 1662: 2 companies

See Also

1) Ruthven Correspondence: Letters and Papers of Patrick Ruthven, Earl of Forth and Brentford, and of His Family: A. D. 1615 - A. D. 1662. With an Appendix of Papers Relating to Sir John Urry. Edited from the Original Mss., by the Rev. William Dunn Macray 1868 p165 from Google Books