Earl of Peterboroughs’ Regiment of Foot

ConflictsFirst Civil War
ColonelEarl of Peterborough
Coat ColourRed lined Blue
Area Raised
Flag Colour
Flag Design
Field ArmiesEssex 1642-3

Parliamentarian regiment of foot raised for the Earl of Essex’s army

Service History


  • Garrison at Banbury
  • October: Besieged and surrender at Banbury
  • November: Re-founded


  • April: Siege of Reading
  • June: Peterborough dies, regiment disband soon after


The regiment seems to have missed the battle of Edgehill although a number of its officers were certainly present. Peterborough himself as General of the Ordnance, his Lt-Col commanding a troop of Horse (and defecting to the Royalists) and Capt John Botteler/Butler who claimed to have had his original commission destroyed at the battle. The regiment surrendered at Banbury a few days later, surrendering its arms but being allowed to march away. The regiment was re-founded in November with most of the same company commanders, but with a new levy of 600 men. This was made up to 800 at the beginning of December. Peterborough died in June and the regiment was disbanded shortly afterwards.

Coats, Flags and Equipment

Peterborough's regiment were issued with coats of an unknown colour in September. Following the reformation of the regiment they were reissued with red coats with blue lining in November 1642 1). The reformed regiment were armed with firelocks.

Notable Officers

Earl of Peterborough

Lt-Col Sir Faithfull Fortescue

Officer Lists

  • Original Regiment
    • Col John Earl of Peterborough
    • Lt-Col Sir Faithfull Fortescue
    • Major Francis Fairfax
    • Capt Sir Edward Payton
    • Capt Philip Dutton
    • Capt Bevill Prideaux
    • Capt Robert Knightley
    • Capt John Butler
    • Capt Henry Lovell
    • Capt George Blunt
  • Second Regiment
    • Col John Earl of Peterborough
    • Lt Col Francis Fairfax
    • Major John Butler
    • Capt Sir Edward Payton
    • Capt Bevill Prideaux
    • Capt George Blunt
    • Capt Will Gaulter
    • Capt George Rouse (Had been Capt-Lt in first regt)


  • 30th Aug 1642 commissioned as 800 rank and file
  • October 1642: 640 rank and file2)
  • 11th Nov 1642 re-raised as 600 rank and file
  • 5th Dec 1642 increased to 800 rank and file
  • 5th May 1643 248 rank and file

See Also

1) ECW Flags and Colours 1: English Foot, Stuart Peachey & Les Prince 1990, Partizan Press ISBN:0946525846