Colonel Walter Lloyd’s Regiment of Foot

Flag Illustration1)
Active1645 to 1660
ConflictsFirst Civil War
Second Civil War
Third Civil War
Glencairn’s Rising
ColonelWalter Lloyd
William Herbert
Robert Overton
George Fenwick
Timothy Wilkes
Thomas Hughes
Area Raised
Coat ColourRed
Flag ColourBlue?
Flag DesignGold laurel wreaths?
Field ArmiesHolborne 1645
NMA 1645-6
Horton 1648
Cromwell 1648
Cromwell 1650-51
Monck 1652-60

Later Colonel William Herbert’s, Robert Overton’s, George Fenwick’s, Timothy Wilkes’ and Thomas Hughes’ Regiment of Foot

New Model Army regiment of foot, serving in the First and Second Civil Wars and thereafter in Scotland forming the garrison of Edinburgh and Leith

Service History


  • April: Formed from Edward Aldrich’s Regiment of Foot of Essex’s army, reinforced by elements of Lord Robartes’ Regiment of Foot
  • May: Relief of Taunton
  • May to July: Besieged at Taunton
  • Lloyd killed at Taunton, William Herbert promoted Colonel
  • July: Battle of Langport
  • July: Siege of Bridgewater
  • August to September: Siege of Bristol
  • September: Siege of Berkeley Castle


  • May to June: Siege of Oxford


  • May: Herbert supports Parliament and is replaced by Robert Overton
  • November: At Kingston


  • January: Quartered in Somerset
  • May: Battle of St Fagans (8 coy)
  • May: Siege of Tenby (8 coy)
  • May to July: Siege of Pembroke (8 coy)
  • 17th - 18th August: Battle of Preston (8 coy led by Lt Col Reade)
  • August: Battle of Winwick Pass
  • October: Garrison of Berwick


  • Garrison of Berwick
  • May: Overton replaced by George Fenwick


  • Garrison of Berwick
  • July: Five companies detached to form George Monck’s Regiment of Foot, Fenwick instructed to raise another five to replace them.
  • 3rd September: Battle of Dunbar - 5 companies
  • December: Garrison of Edinburgh Castle


  • February: Siege of Hume Castle
  • March: Ordered to increase from 1200 men in ten companies to 1600 men in 12 companies
  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith
  • 20th July: Battle of Inverkeithing - 4 companies
  • September to April 1652: Siege of Bass Rock?


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith
  • October: Mutiny over 12d a week stopped from their pay


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith
  • October: Reduced back to ten companies


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith
  • August: Colonel Timothy Wilkes replaces Fenwick
  • Garrison of Leith (8 coy), Tomtallant and the Bass (40 men), ‘Innerloughy’ (1 coy), Edinburgh Castle (1 coy)


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith
  • December: Wilkes replaced by Thomas Hughes


  • Garrison of Edinburgh and Leith
  • October: Disbanded


A history of the regiment is given in The Regimental History of Cromwell's Army by Sir Charles Firth and Godfrey Davies, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1940.

Lloyd’s regiment was formed from Edward Aldrich’s Regiment of Foot, Lord Robartes' and probably drafts from other regiments of Essex’s army. Aldrich was originally named as Colonel, but he was replaced by his Lt Col Lloyd, after arguing about the officers chosen by Parliament. They missed Naseby, serving instead at Taunton where Lloyd was killed, on Fairfax’s Western campaign and at the siege of Oxford, led by Herbert.

In 1647 Herbert supported Parliament, not the army, so was replaced by Robert Overton. During the Second Civil War Overton was deputy-governor of Hull, so the regiment were led by Lt Col Thomas Reade. Reade, with 8 companies, was sent to join Horton’s force in South Wales, victorious at St Fagans they went on to besiege Tenby and Pembroke, then marched north under Cromwell’s command on the Preston campaign. They served until 1650 as garrison of Berwick on Tweed, and then moved to garrison Edinburgh and Leith, where they stayed until the Restoration. The regiment were disbanded in Scotland in October 1660.

Coats, Flags and Equipment

Red coats.

Lloyd’s regiment continued to carry the colours which they had carried as Aldrich’s regiment (Illustrated Above). Aldrich had ordered eight blue colours from Alexander Venner in December 1644 to replace those lost on the Lostwithiel campaign. These were: new ensigns for Col. Aldriches regt. made of blew Florence sarsnet with distinctions of gould culler laurels and tassels. In April 1645 Aldrich’s regiment was issued 2 new colours to bring them up to the ten required for New Model Army regiments. How long they continued with these colours is uncertain. In June 1651 Fenwick’s regiment was given £19/-/- for the purchase of new colours (number and colour unspecified). This could possibly be for the two additional companies raised at this time, but appears too high a sum (in 1650 colours were £2 to £3 each), though consistent with also buying flags for the five re-raised companies or a complete re-fit.

Notable Officers

Colonel Walter Lloyd

Previously Lieutenant Colonel under Aldrich, he had been praised by Skippon for his service in leading the forlorn hope at the Second Battle of Newbury. He was killed at Taunton.

Colonel William Herbert

Herbert had been major of Merrick’s foot in 1642. Shot through the hat at the storm of Bristol, he backed the wrong side in the dispute between Parliament and the Army in 1647 and was replaced.

Colonel Robert Overton

Colonel George Fenwick

Colonel Timothy Wilkes

Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment from 1651, he was a Londoner and Independent. He had also served in Needham’s regiment. In 1659 he annoyed Monck by performing badly in critical negotiations, so was replaced.

Colonel Thomas Hughes

Previously Major of the regiment.

Officer Lists

More detailed lists of officers for April and May 1645, December 1646, May and August 1647 and May 1649 are shown in Reconstructing the New Model Army. Volume 1, Regimental Lists April 1645 to May 1649 by Malcolm Wanklyn, Helion & Co. 2015. ISBN 978-1-910777-10-7.

May 1645

From Anglia Rediviva2)

  • Colonel: Walter Lloyd
  • Lieutenant Colonel: Adjutant-General James Grey
  • Major: Thomas Reade
  • Captain: William? Wilks
  • Captain: Paul? Gettings
  • Captain: Richard Lundy
  • Captain: Benjamin Wigfall
  • Captain: John Melvin
  • Captain: John Spooner
  • Captain: Nathaniel Short

December 1646

From Anglia Rediviva3)

  • Colonel William Herbert
  • Lieutenant Colonel: Thomas Reade
  • Major: John Wade
  • Captain: Richard Lundy
  • Captain: John Melvin
  • Captain: John Spooner
  • Captain: Nathaniel Short
  • Captain: Robert Reade
  • Captain: Edward Orpin
  • Captain: Thomas Cooper

August 1648

  • Colonel: Robert Overton
  • Lt Colonel: Thomas Reade
  • Major: John Wade
  • Captain: Thomas Hughes
  • Captain: Edward Orpin
  • Captain: Robert Reade
  • Captain: William Knowles
  • Captain: William Gough


Colonel Timothy Wilkes' Regiment of Foot4)

  • Colonel's company at Leith
  • Lt Colonel Robert Reade's company at Innerloughy
  • Major Thomas Hughes' company at Leith
  • Captain William Knowles' company at Leith
  • Captain William Collinson's company at Leith
  • Captain John Miller's company at Leith
  • Captain Thomas Hunt's company at Leith, Captain Hunt's Lieutenant and 40 men at Tomtallant and the Bass
  • Captain William Newman's company at Leith
  • Captain Timothy Langley's company at Leith
  • Captain Richard Clifton's company at Edinburgh Castle


  • 1645: Established at 1000 men in ten companies (probably not up to strength)
  • 1651: Ordered to increase from 1200 men in 10 companies to 1600 men in 12 companies
  • 1655: Reduced back to 10 companies

See Also

The regiment is re-enacted by Col. George Fenwick's Regiment of Foote of the English Civil War Society.

1) Flag image by kind permission of Wargames Designs
2) , 3) Sprigge, Joshua, Anglia Rediviva, London 1647
4) Worcester College Oxford, Clarke Manuscripts