Colonel Thomas Long’s Regiment of Foot

Active1647 to 1649
ConflictsIrish Confederate War
ColonelThomas Long
Area RaisedSomerset
Coat ColourRed?
Flag Colour
Flag Design
Field ArmiesJones 1647-9

Regiment of Foot raised in Somerset and serving in Ireland in the forces of Michael Jones

Service History


  • Raised in the West Country from disbanded men of Massey’s Western Association
  • June: Shipped to Dublin from Bristol or Minehead
  • December: Quartered at garrisons in County Wicklow and near Dublin


  • May: Mustered


  • Spring: Small garrisons taken by Ormond
  • August: Battle of Rathmines?
  • August: Garrison of Dublin
  • August: Disbanded and reduced into other regiments by Cromwell, though Long retains an unregimented company


A history of the regiment is given in The Regimental History of Cromwell's Army by Sir Charles Firth and Godfrey Davies, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1940.

The regiment were formed in 1647 in the West Country and were swiftly sent to Dublin where they belonged to the forces of Michael Jones. The regiment served dispersed into garrisons in County Wicklow and lost a number of them to Ormond’s offensive of 1649. By the August the regiment was depleted and was therefore disbanded by Cromwell.

Coats, Flags and Equipment

Notable Officers

Thomas Long

Later given command of Dublin Castle, he lost it to Sir Hardress Waller in 1659, then served on the Council of Officers in Dublin.

Officer List

Commissions issued March 1647.1)

  • Colonel Thomas Long
  • Lieutenant Colonel Primireond Rochfort (Prime-Iron apparently a nickname his real name being James. Formerly a Captain in Sir Charles Coote’s Regiment of Foot. He was executed by firing squad for the manslaughter of a Major Turner)
  • Major John Read
  • Captain Daniell Smith
  • Captain Felix Long
  • Captain John Freeman
  • Captain Henry Lewes
  • Captain Richard Virone
  • Captain Robert Pigott
  • Captain Cornelius Wall


  • May 1648: 941 private soldiers

See Also

1) CSPI 1633-47 p609