Lancaster Trained Bands

  • Lancaster Trained Band Horse
  • Sir Gilbert Ireland's Militia Horse (1658)

The Lancaster (Lancashire) Trained Bands of 1638 consisted of 600 men armed with 420 muskets and 180 corslets (body armour, signifying pikemen). They also mustered 25 lancers and 81 light horse.

In April 1639 the Trained Band were ordered to assemble at Lancaster following a false alarm that the Scots had stormed Carlisle.

In January 1643 Sir Edward Norris was Royalist captain of the West Derby Trained Band, probably using them as the basis of Sir Edward Norris’ Regiment of Foot.

When the Lancashire militia was ordered to disband in 1649, they refused, occupying Clitheroe Castle for a brief period in a dispute over unpaid wages.

Lancashire Trained Band foot are re-enacted by Sir Gilbert Houghton's Companie of Foote of the Sealed Knot.