Earl Rivers’ Regiment of Foot

Flag Illustration1)
ConflictsFirst Civil War
ColonelEarl Rivers
Sir John Boys
Coat ColourRed or Blue
Area RaisedCheshire
Flag ColourBlack
Flag DesignUnknown
Field ArmiesOxford

Later Sir John Boys’ Regiment of Foot

Royalist regiment of foot of the Oxford army later garrison of Donnington Castle then Wallingford

Service History


  • October: Quartered at Stockton, Shropshire
  • October: Siege of Banbury?
  • 12th November: Storm of Brentford - Part of Colonel Henry Wentworth's Brigade
  • 13th November: Standoff at Turnham Green
  • 5th December: Storm of Marlborough - Under Lord Wilmot
  • 9th December: Garrison of Wallingford


  • 26th July: Storm of Bristol - Under Lord Grandison, commanded by Lt-Col Boys
  • August to September: Siege of Gloucester
  • 20th September: First Battle of Newbury - Led by Earl Rivers


  • July to October: Besieged in Donnington Castle
  • October: Second Battle of Newbury
  • October: Boys promoted to Colonel
  • October to November: Besieged in Donnington Castle


  • November to March 1646: Besieged in Donnington Castle


  • May to July: Besieged at Wallingford


Coats, Flags and Equipment

Clad in either all red or all blue suits of coats, breeches and montero hats in July 1643 along with the other Royalist foot regiments then in Oxford 2). Under Earl Rivers in December 1643 the regiment carried black flags 3).

They were issued 30 muskets from Weymouth by February 1644.4)

Notable Officers

Earl Rivers

Sir John Boys

Sir John Boys was originally Lieutenant-Colonel but was knighted and promoted to Colonel by the King in October 1644.


See Also

Earl Rivers' Regiment are re-enacted by Earl Rivers' Regiment of Foote of the Sealed Knot.

1) Flag images by kind permission of Wargames Designs
2) , 3) ECW Flags and Colours 1: English Foot, Stuart Peachey & Les Prince 1990, Partizan Press ISBN:0946525846
4) Bodleian Library Rawlinson Ms D395