Colonel Harry Barclay’s Regiment of Foot

Active1642-5
CountryEngland
AllegianceParliamentarian
ConflictsFirst Civil War
TypeFoot
ColonelHarry Barclay
Area Raised
Coat ColourRed lined Blue
Red or Grey
Flag ColourRed or Green
Flag Design
Field ArmiesEssex 1642-5

Parliamentarian regiment of foot raised as part of the Earl of Warwick’s reserve army, fought as part of the Earl of Essex’s army during the First Civil War

Service History

1642

  • November: Standoff at Turnham Green
  • December: Skirmish at Twyford

1643

  • April: Siege of Reading
  • 8th September: Relief of Gloucester
  • 20th September: First Battle of Newbury

1644

  • August: Battle of Lostwithiel
  • October: Second Battle of Newbury
  • November: Garrison of Reading

1645

Notes

Coats, Flags and Equipment

Barclay's foot were issued red coats lined blue in November 1642, these were replaced, probably with red or grey in August 1643 1). In November 1644 they received new flags to replace those lost on the Lostwithiel campaign. These were either green colours (with differences of yellow billets, yellow half-moons or white diamonds), or crimson colours (with differences of yellow mullets or white balls).

Notable Officers

Harry Barclay

Officer Lists

1642 /43

Original Officers

  • Colonel Harry Barclay
  • Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Bayley
  • Major John Innes (Promoted to Lt-Col at some point between April and December 1643 and probably toward the end of that period.. There are 2 references in the official Parliamentarian account of 1st Newbury that may refer to Lt Col Bayley which would suggest he was still in post in September. It should also be noted that, unless there is another unknown Major, Innes replacement was not promoted until late December.)
  • Captain John Andrews (served 07/11/42 - 24/08/43)2)
  • Captain Richard Cooke (last reference August 1643)
  • Captain John Hammond (no reference found after 1642)
  • Captain John Fenton (last reference June 1643 but signed a later declaration of service for Capt Andrews so probably served until August at least.)
  • Captain [ ] Leekey (probably same man as Leete)
  • Captain William Leete
  • Captain John Marriot (last reference June 1643)
  • Captain Thomas Pride (promoted to Major 22/12/43)

New Officers

  • Captain William Cowell (by 12/07/43)
  • Captain William Goffe (commissioned 01/07/43)
  • Captain Baptist Webb (commissioned 06/10/43)

1644

  • Colonel Harry Barclay
  • Lieutenant Colonel John Innes
  • Major Thomas Pride
  • Captain William Cowell
  • Captain William Goffe
  • Captain George Gregson
  • Captain William Leete
  • Captain Robert Melvin (Single reference in May 1644)
  • Captain John Needham (Single reference in May 1644)
  • Captain George Ramsey
  • Captain Baptist Webb (discharged 20/05/44)

Added to Regiment in Reading Garrison late 1644 - early 1645

(These 3 Companies were added to strengthen the regiment they appear to have been existing units and were paid seperately to the rest of the regiment and usually described as “marching in the regiment of Colonel Barcley”)

  • Captain George Sampson
  • Captain John Blagrave
  • Captain Vincent Goddard

April 1645

The Regiment was originally intended to move almost unchanged into the New Model Army with only Major Thomas Pride being reduced.

  • Colonel Harry Barclay
  • Lieutenant Colonel John Innes
  • Major William Cowell
  • Captain John Blagrave
  • Captain Vincent Goddard
  • Captain William Goffe
  • Captain George Gregson
  • Captain William Leete
  • Captain George Ramsey
  • Captain George Sampson

However as Scots both Barclay and Innes were unable or unwilling to serve and the Regiment passed to Sir Edward Harley with Pride returning as Lt Col.

Strength

  • November 1642: intended as 1200 strong
  • 3rd January 1643: 901 men
  • 5th May 1643: 645 men
  • 21st June 1643: 636 men
  • 20th July 1643: 496 men
  • 10th September 1643: 384 men
  • 14th October 1643: 391 men
  • 23rd October 1643: 373 men
  • 17th November 1643: 343 men
  • 7th December 1643: 138 men
  • 5th February 1644: 280 men
  • 10th April 1644: 266 men
  • 24th June 1644: 475 men

See Also

1) ECW Flags and Colours 1: English Foot, Stuart Peachey & Les Prince 1990, Partizan Press ISBN:0946525846
2) N.A. SP28/267/pt3/33