Earl of Tullibardine’s Regiment of Foot for Service in England

Active1643 to 1646
1648
CountryScotland
AllegianceCovenanter
ConflictsFirst Civil War
Second Civil War
TypeFoot
ColonelEarl of Tullibardine
Area RaisedPerthshire
Coat ColourGrey
Flag ColourWhite
Flag DesignRed saltire
Field ArmiesLeven 1643-6
Hamilton 1648

Covenanter Regiment of Foot raised for service in England, forming part of Leven’s army, raised anew in 1648 for the Preston Camapign

Service History

1643

  • August: Raised in Perthshire

1644

  • February to October: Siege of Newcastle as part of Lumsden's detachment
  • September: Return to Scotland

1645

  • February: Battle of Inverlochy (det)
  • March: 250 Highland recruits join at Perth
  • July: March to join Leven
  • July to September: Siege of Hereford
  • November to May 1646: Siege of Newark

1646

  • May: Taking of Newark
  • May to January 1647: Quartered in County Durham

1647

  • February: Return to Scotland and disbanded

1648

  • May: Tullibardine commissioned to re-raise the regiment in Perthshire
  • July: Preston campaign
  • August: Battle of Winwick Pass
  • August: Surrender to the New Model Army at Winwick and Warrington

Notes

A history of the unit is shown in Edward M. Furgol’s A Regimental History of the Covenanting Armies 1639-1651 Edinburgh, 1990. ISBN 0 85976 194 0

The detachment sent back to Scotland and fighting at Inverlochy comprised at least three companies. The Earl of Tullibardine raised a second regiment of foot for service in Scotland that was soon destroyed fighting Montrose. In 1648 he raised a new regiment for the Preston campaign.

Coats, Flags & Equipment

The regiment was likely dressed in ubiquitous Scots hodden grey with blue bonnets. Flags identified as captured at Preston include a white Colonel's flag and white company flag with red saltire. These appear to be of an older pattern than other flags captured at Preston, so likely were re-used from the First Civil War. The Colonel's flag has a central thistle proper with the motto NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT surrounded by a wreath. The scroll at top and bottom of the flag reads COVENANT FOR RELI… CROVNE AND COVN.. (having been ripped). The other flag is white with a red saltire and the inscription COVANANT For RELIGION CROVN AND CVNTRIE in black lettering.1)

Notable Officers

Lists of the regiment's officers are shown in Stuart Reid's Scots Armies of the 17th Century 1. The Army of the Covenant 1639-1651 Partizan Press 1998 ISBN 094652550 and in Stuart Reid's Scots Armies of the 17th Century 2: Scots Colours Partizan Press 1988 ISBN 094652550 1

Earl of Tullibardine

James Murray, 2nd Earl of Tullibardine. Earlier, he was titled Lord Murray of Gask, see Dukes of Atholl

Strength

  • January 1644: 10 companies
  • December 1645: 653 men plus 4 or 5 sick
  • January 1646: 482 men in 9 companies
  • May 1648: 800 foot planned to be raised
  • August 1648: 131 officers and men surrender at Warrington

See Also

1) Stuart Reid's Scots Armies of the 17th Century 2: Scots Colours Partizan Press 1988