Colonel Charles Fairfax’s Regiment of Foot

Flag Illustration 11)
Flag Illustration 22)
Active1648 to 1660
CountryEngland
AllegianceParliamentarian
ConflictsSecond Civil War
Third Civil War
TypeFoot
ColonelCharles Fairfax
Area RaisedYorkshire
Coat ColourRed?
Flag ColourBlue
Flag DesignDifferenced by stars
Field ArmiesCromwell 1648
Cromwell 1650-51

Parliamentarian Regiment of Foot fighting in the Second and Third Civil Wars and serving in garrison in Scotland during the 1650s

Service History

1648

  • May: Raised in the West Riding of Yorkshire
  • August: Battle of Preston
  • August: Battle of Winwick Pass
  • October to March 1649: Siege of Pontefract Castle

1649

  • February: Added to the establishment of the regular army
  • March: Take Pontefract Castle
  • May: Blue colours ordered

1650

  • July: March to Scotland with Cromwell
  • September: Battle of Dunbar?

1651

  • September: Battle of Worcester

1652

  • Return to Scotland

1653

  • Garrison of St Johnstons

1654

  • Garrison of St Johnstons

1655

1656

  • In garrison at Leith and other places

1657

1658

1659

  • October: Garrison of Aberdeen (9 companies, 1 detached in England)
  • October: Join Monck at Edinburgh

1660

  • January: March into England with Monck
  • In garrison at York
  • March: In garrison at Hull (det under Fairfax)
  • October: Disbanded

Notes

A history of the regiment is given in The Regimental History of Cromwell's Army by Sir Charles Firth and Godfrey Davies, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1940.

Colonel Charles Fairfax’s regiment was one of three raised in 1648 in Yorkshire. They served with Cromwell on the Preston campaign and under Lambert at the siege of Pontefract. In 1650 they were in Scotland under Cromwell and in 1651 fought at the Battle of Worcester.

In 1652 they returned to Scotland and garrisoned St Johnstons. By 1659 they were in garrison at Aberdeen and marched to Edinburgh to support Monck. At the Restoration the regiment entered England in 1660 and were left to garrison York and later Hull, where Fairfax was appointed governor. The regiment were disbanded in October 1660.

Coats, Flags and Equipment

Presumably they were issued with red coats. In 1649 Charles Fairfax ordered ten new colours in the best taffety of the deepest blue that can be got. The Colonel’s colour bore the motto FIDELITER FAELICITER within a well-wrought round and a handsome compartment. The Lt Col’s blue with a St George cross in a canton, the Major likewise with white streaks, and the Captains distinguished by white mullets. The Colonel's and second Captain's colours are illustrated above.

Notable Officers

Charles Fairfax

Charles Fairfax (1597-1673) was brother of Ferdinando, Lord Fairfax, and uncle of Sir Thomas Fairfax. He is not to be confused with the Charles Fairfax killed in the First Civil War.

1656

Colonel Charles Fairfax's Regiment of Foot3)

  • Colonel's company at Leith, commanded by Captain Lieutenant Francis Hartley
  • Lt Colonel John Mason's company at Leith
  • Major Daniel Davison's company at Enstruther
  • Captain Thomas Sutton's company at Leith
  • Captain John Rogers' company at Burntisland
  • Captain Samuel Poole's company at Kirkcauldy
  • Captain John (?) Freeman's company at Cooper
  • Captain John Pym's company at St Andrews
  • Captain Reve Bailey's company at Inverlochy
  • Captain William Wilkinson's company at St Johnstons

Strength

  • 10 Companies

See Also

1) , 2) Flag image by kind permission of Wargames Designs
3) Worcester College Oxford, Clarke Manuscripts