Colonel Anthony Hungerford’s Regiment of Foot

Active1647 to 1649
CountryEngland
AllegianceParliamentarian
ConflictsIrish Confederate War
TypeFoot
ColonelAnthony Hungerford
Area RaisedShropshire
Coat ColourRed?
Flag Colour
Flag Design
Field ArmiesJones 1647

English regiment of foot serving under Michael Jones in Ireland, later in garrison at Drogheda

Service History

1647

  • Regiment raised from disbanded men in Shropshire
  • April: Land in Ireland
  • May: Mustered at Dublin
  • August: Battle of Dungan’s Hill

1648

  • May: Mustered at Drogheda

1649

  • June to July: Besieged at Drogheda
  • July: Surrender at Drogheda, most change sides, remnants march to Dublin
  • August: Battle of Rathmines?
  • August: Disbanded by Cromwell’s order

Notes

A history of the regiment is given in The Regimental History of Cromwell's Army by Sir Charles Firth and Godfrey Davies, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1940.

Raised in Shropshire, the regiment were sent to Ireland and served under Michael Jones at Dungan’s Hill. By 1648 they were in garrison at Drogheda and in 1649 were besieged there by Lord Inchiquin’s Royalists. On Inchiquin completing his battery, Lt Col Foulkes surrendered the town. Allegedly of the 700 foot and 250 horse present, no more than 100 foot and 35 horse marched out to Dublin, the remainder changing sides to Inchiquin. As the regiment was so depleted it was quickly disbanded in the August.

Coats, Flags and Equipment

Notable Officers

Anthony Hungerford

Anthony Hungerford was shot in the head at Dungan's Hill but survived, retiring to England. Ho was absent in England raising more recruits leaving Lt Col Foulkes as governor of Drogheda during the siege. He was to return to Ireland but the regiment was disbanded instead.

Officer List

April 1647

Mustered at Dublin1)

  • Colonel Anthony Hungerford
  • Lt Col. Fouks
  • Sgt Maj. William Aston
  • Capt. Humphrey Mackworth
  • Capt. Thomas Croxton
  • Capt. Myles Ashton
  • Capt. Joseph Foxe
  • Capt. Francis Haslam
  • Capt. Henrie Hunt

Strength

  • May 1647: 912 men, besides officers
  • May 1648: 783 men

See Also

1) Historical Manuscripts Commission, Fourteenth Report, Appendix, Part VII, The Manuscripts of the Marquis of Ormonde, p199-200